Giving to religion (defined as giving specifically to congregations, denominations, missionary societies, and religious media) has consistently remained America’s single largest recipient of charitable giving.
Church And Religious Charitable Giving Statistics
Charitable Giving For Churches
- 49% of all church giving transactions are made with a card.
- 8/10 people who give to churches have zero credit debt.
- 60% are willing to give to their church digitally.
- Tithers make up only 10-25 percent of a normal congregation.
- Churches that accept tithing online increase overall donations by 32%.
- Only 5% tithe, and 80% of Americans only give 2% of their income.
- Christians are giving at 2.5% of income; during the Great Depression it was 3.3%.
- Only 3-5% of Americans who give to their local church do so through regular tithing.
- When surveyed, 17% of Americans state that they regularly tithe.
- For families making $75k+, 1% of them gave at least 10% in tithing.
- 3 out of 4 people who don’t go to church make donations to nonprofit organizations.
- The average giving by adults who attend US Protestant churches is about $17 a week.
- 37% of regular church attendees and Evangelicals don’t give money to church.
- 17% of American families have reduced the amount that they give to their local church.
- 7% of church goers have dropped regular giving by 20% or more.
- About 10 million tithers in the US donate $50 billion yearly to church & non-profits.
- 77% of those who tithe give 11%–20% or more of their income, far more than the baseline of 10%.
- 7 out of 10 tithers do so based on their gross and not their net income.
- The average number of updates that a successful campaign owner posts is 4.
- Crowdfunding campaigns get 126% more donations when owners update supporters.
- Campaigns that are shared fewer than 2 times have a 97% chance of failure.
- Crowdfunding campaigns with personal videos raise 150% than those that don’t have videos.
- Over half of people who receive an email about a crowdfunding campaign made a donation
Read the full list of charitable giving statistics