Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet. Crowdfunding is a form of crowdsourcing and alternative finance. In 2015, a worldwide estimate totaling over $34 billion was raised by crowdfunding.
Online Crowdfunding Statistics For Nonprofits
Online Crowdfunding Trends
- 41% have donated to crowdfunding campaigns that benefit individuals.
- 16% of crowdfunders donate less money to NGS, NPOs, & charities due to their financial support of crowdfunding campaigns.
- 14% of donors worldwide have created an online peer-to-peer fundraising campaign.
- $9,237.55 is the average amount a nonprofit crowdfunding campaign raises.
- $568 is the average amount individuals raise through crowdfunding.
- An average of 8 people donate to an individual crowdfunding campaign.
- The average donation size to a crowdfunding campaign is $66.
- 17% of crowdfunding donations are made on mobile devices.
- Campaigns that can gain 30% of their goal within the first week are more likely to succeed.
- Social Media is a critical factor in crowdfunding success: for every order of magnitude increase in Facebook friends (10, 100, 1000), the probability of success increases drastically (from 9%-, 20%, to 40%).
- Individuals ages 24-35 are much more likely to participate in crowdfunding campaigns; those over 45 are significantly less likely to back campaigns.
- There’s an average of a 35% increase in giving when there’s a crowdfunding thermometer.
- 62% of donors who give to crowdfunding campaigns are new to crowdfunding.
- 300-500; the average word count in the campaign description for projects that raise the most money.
- Campaign owners raise 3X more if they update supporters every 5 days.
- The average number of updates that a successful campaign owner posts is 4.
- Crowdfunding campaigns get 126% more donations when owners update supporters.
- Campaigns that are shared fewer than 2 times have a 97% chance of failure.
- Crowdfunding campaigns with personal videos raise 150% than those that don’t have videos.
- Over half of people who receive an email about a crowdfunding campaign made a donation
Read the full list of charitable giving statistics